Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Bags

I saw an idea a while back about kids making up Easter baskets and selling them to raise money for a cause. I thought that was such an amazing idea. So I pondered on it for a while and thought about the children downtown at the Charis house. The Charis house is a women's shelter for homeless women and children. I kept putting it off letting myself believe that it wasn't a good idea or it was too late to put baskets together. Derek and I have been reading "Radical" by David Platt. It is such a great book but very convicting. One day last week after reading part of a chapter, I talked with Garrett about making baskets for the children downtown. He was so excited about it! I picked up the phone before I could make any more excuses and called the Charis House. I didn't have time to think of what I was going to say so I just spoke what was on my heart! They were so excited but the children and their mothers were all ready taken care of by another church group. However, the single women at the house still needed someone or group to step up for them. So, I told them I would be happy to make baskets for them. They have 24 single women right now living at the house. I called a few friends and asked if they would help me get some donations. They really came through. We had some donations of devotionals, chocolate, stationary, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, make-up, nail polish and files, and of course, jewelry!!! One place in town also donated paper sacks. The kids took one day and decorated each bag with crosses, rainbows, and Garrett even spelled out Jesus by himself on some bags. It was so nice that day they wanted to color the bags that we took this project outside. They had such a great time and really were excited to do something for others.


Even Ethan took part on coloring but he didn't want to color crosses, he wanted to color "frog stations"!!! Then on Saturday we had finished collecting donations and then lined the bags up in our living room and the kids helped fill them full! Then I tied ribbon on the top to make a handle. Below is how this project turned out! We just got back from dropping the bags off and a huge box of donations that didn't fit in the bags!!! It was so much fun to see how the kids really got involved in this project and how excited they were when we dropped them off today! It was such a great feeling and so rewarding to help out others. So I challenge you, the next time you feel like you should do something to help others, don't ignore it! Stop what you are doing and pick up the phone or whatever it may be that you need to do to help someone or some group!

I will try to post more from this weekend. It was a busy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment